Accounting Supervisor - 2019-100-05
JOB POSTING # 2019-100-05
Permanent, Full Time: 35 hr/wk
Abbotsford Community Services has been helping people since 1969.We provide more than 85 programs and services to clients at every stage of life.Our vision for the future is justice, opportunities and equitable access for all.We strive toward that goal by fostering community well-being and social justice through positive action and leadership.Come help us help people.
The Accounting Supervisor is responsible for managing the day-to-day functions of the Accounting department and supervising the accounting team.This position provides budgeting, financial review, and supports.The Accounting Supervisor is responsible for ensuring the completion of financial statements in a timely manner, external and internal financial reporting, budget development, and monitoring. This position will often be working under deadlines and must exercise good judgment. The Accounting Supervisor needs strong communication skills as this position works with directors and supervisors.
- Orients, trains and provides ongoing coaching and supervision to finance team:
- Coordinates all financial and control systems, resources and staffing to ensure organizational effectiveness and efficiency, compliance with GAAP and funder requirements.
- Provides supervision to finance team including directing staff, managing employee files, processing time cards, and hiring.
- Provides oversight and sets regular meeting with the finance team to support staff, and improve and coordinate services.
- Manages performance including providing feedback and coaching to staff, conducting performance evaluations, engaging in discipline, managing leaves/illnesses, conducting investigations, and developing staff within their position.
- Ensure the accurate and timely reporting of all monthly financial information, within required deadlines.
- Assist programs in developing and monitoring program budgets, investigate variances with program supervisors and department managers as required.
- Review accounts payable cheques and reports to external stakeholders.
- Respond to inquiries from the Director of Finance, directors and supervisors regarding financial results, special reporting requests and the like.
- Monitor and analyze department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Review year-end working papers to ensure an efficient and accurate year-end audit.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Certification:
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
- CPA Accounting Designation.
- At least 3-5 years expanding experience and responsibility.
- At least 2 years’ experience providing supervision to a team of 3+ employees.
- At least 2 years’ experience working in a busy environment and meeting tight deadlines.
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Strong computer skills with a high skill level in Excel and Sage 300 ERP.
- Strong working knowledge of fund accounting.
- Strong decision-making skills, able to prioritize competing deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Well-developed written, verbal, and active listening skills; able to communicate effectively and respectfully with a variety of people.
- Strong organizational and time management skills, able to manage competing priorities and deadlines, and work independently.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience in the not-for-profit sector.
- Some payroll knowledge is an asset.
- Well-developed ability to switch-task, work under pressure, and meet deadlines required.
Closing date is June 14, 2019
Interested applicants are to reference Posting # 2019-100-05 in the subject line.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Subject: Job Posting # 2019-100-05
No phone calls please. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Abbotsford Community Services is an equal opportunity employer.