Employee Relations Specialist - 2019-94-01
JOB POSTING # 2019-94-01
Employee Relations Specialist
Wage: $26-$28 per hour
Permanent, Full Time: 35 hr/wk
Abbotsford Community Services has been helping people since 1969.We provide more than 85 programs and services to clients at every stage of life.Our vision for the future is justice, opportunities and equitable access for all.We strive toward that goal by fostering community well-being and social justice through positive action and leadership.Come help us help people.
The Employment Relations Specialist works as part of the HR Team to develop and implement HR programs and initiatives, and provide advice and services in 2 key areas, employee relations for all programs and labour relations for our 2 unionized programs.This position provides expertise to all supervisors levels with respect to performance management, workplace investigations, and union-related issues (grievances, interpreting and applying the Collective Agreement, etc.) according to legal requirements, agency policy, and best practices.The Employee Relations Specialist supports supervisors in minimizing risk on legal and compliance issues, ensuring adherence and interpretation of all relevant legislation, and ensuring compliance with policies and procedures and collective agreements.
- Supports supervisors on appropriate regulations, policies, procedures and practices involved in developing employee performance plans and conducting performance appraisals.
- Assists with the interpretation and review of policies and procedures providing recommendations for change.
- Develops clear and effective performance management tools and initiatives based on agency policy, processes, culture, and best practices.
- Provides guidance to supervisors in monitoring and assessing employee performance compared to expectations, and managing issues in a timely manner.
- Helps supervisors develop performance management capacity through coaching.
- Works with the HR Generalist and hiring supervisors to implement talent strategies including hiring and selection, assessment and management, retention, and organizational development initiatives.
- Provides consistent interpretation, analysis, and advice supporting effective resolution of employee relations issues that may require corrective action or progressive discipline, as required.
- Facilitates the workplace complaints/grievance processes conducting timely and impartial investigations in a variety of areas extracting relevant facts and the nature of the complaint/grievance.
- Provides advice to supervisors and employees on reasonable accommodation policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Provides advice, support and facilitation on labour and employee relations matters, including discipline and discharge cases, workplace accommodation matters, attendance management cases, and other conflict situations.
- Develops and implements strategies to maintain ongoing communication and positive relationships with union representatives.
Provides guidance and expertise when preparing for and representing the organization in grievances. Researches and prepares grievance responses and/or minutes of settlement.
- Manages all aspects of the grievance process including grievance resolution, mediation, arbitration and or conciliation.
- Assists Director of HR in meetings and negotiations with union representatives.
- Responds to labour and employee relations issues, working effectively with employees and supervisors to address and resolve issues.
- Supports and provides guidance to supervisors in applying the collective agreement, grievance, and arbitration procedures.
- Supports the development and implementation of policies, procedures, and programs related to labour relations and ensures compliance with all applicable legislation and regulations.
- Develops and delivers labour relations education/training in LR processes and management to supervisors (e.g. grievance processes, bargaining settlement implementation).
- Chairs labour/management meetings; approves meeting minutes; follows up on action items.
- Collects and manages employee relations and labour relations documentation as required.
- Performs other duties as required.
Requirements and qualifications
Education and Certification:
- Post-Secondary Degree with a focus on Human Resources, Labour Relations or related field and/or the equivalent in education and experience.
- CHRP Candidate or Designation.
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check
- At least 3 years’ of in progressive labour relations experience.
- At least 3 years’ experience in Human Resources and Employee Relations in both unionized and non-unionized environments.
- At least 2 years’ experience conducting workplace investigations.
- Experience interpreting and applying Collective Agreements.
- Some experience developing performance management systems and tools.
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Strong written, verbal, and active listening skills, able to communicate effectively and respectfully with a variety of people.
- Well-developed knowledge of the BC Employment Standards Act, the BC Labour Relations Act, the Workers Compensation Act, the BC Human Rights Code, and principles of Employment and Labour Law.
- Strong relationship building skills, able to build effective and respectful working relationships with co-workers, mangers, supervisors, staff, and union representatives.
- Strong conflict management skills, able to communicate effectively in adversarial situations and de-escalate conflict.
- Strong research and analysis skills.
- Well-developed negotiating skills.
- Strong knowledge of performance management principles and techniques.
- Strong planning, organizing, and time management skills, able to manage completing priorities.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Well-develop computer skills, able to use Microsoft Office Suite.
Closing date is June 14, 2019
Interested applicants are to reference Posting # 2019-94-01 in the subject line.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Subject: Job Posting # 2019-94-01
No phone calls please. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Abbotsford Community Services is an equal opportunity employer.