Family Outreach and Support Worker - 2019-77-01
JOB POSTING # 2019-77-01
Family Outreach and Support Worker
Wage: $21.50-$24.50 (based on experience)
Full and Part Time Positions Available
Abbotsford Community Services has been helping people since 1969.We provide more than 85 programs and services to clients at every stage of life.Our vision for the future is justice, opportunities and equitable access for all.We strive toward that goal by fostering community well-being and social justice through positive action and leadership.Come help us help people.
The Family Outreach Support Worker works closely with families who have been identified by the Ministry of Children and Family Development as having varying degrees of child protection concerns. This role includes providing “in home” support, providing resources and services for families, and facilitation.The Family Outreach Worker also writes detailed reports for supervised access visits for families whose children are in the care of the Ministry for Children and Family Development.
- Interview, prepare family histories, assess problems and outline services provided by Family Connections.
- Develop and implement supportive interventions to assist in determining goals and the means of attaining them.Plan, prepare and conduct individual sessions with clients.
- Provide life skills and positive parenting training.
- Teach clients effective social and interpersonal skills through tasks of daily living and social activities.
- Act as an advocate and provides support while client is in the program.
- Maintain accurate reports and records and provide monthly reports to the supervisor.
- Ensure that all required documentation is complete.Report to and discuss case planning and concerns to Ministry of Children and Family Development staff.
- This position may require supervision and documentation of visits between parents and children who are in the care of the Ministry of Children and Family Development.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of community resources.Provide liaison, education and advocacy to other professionals, other agencies and the community as required.
- Attend all mandated training as agreed upon with the supervisor.
- Read, sign and follows the agency policies.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
Requirements and qualifications
Education and Certification:
- Bachelor Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Child and Youth Care or related field
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check
- Current First Aid Certificate
At least 3 years’ experience supporting families through government and community based programs
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Well-developed written, verbal, and active listening skills; able to communicate effectively and respectfully with people with a variety of backgrounds.
- Good organization, time and general management skills
- Ability to work effectively independently and with other program staff, therapists, social workers and other related staff
- This position requires staff to work in a stressful environment, dealing with clients in crisis situations.It is important to know when to seek support from supervisors or co-workers.
- This position requires driving from program-related work.
- This position requires flexible work hours to meet families’ availability (evenings and weekends).
Open Until Filled
Interested applicants are to reference Posting #2019-77-01 in the subject line.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Subject: Job Posting # 2019-77-01
No phone calls please. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Abbotsford Community Services is an equal opportunity employer.