Teaching Assistant - LINC - 2019-90-02
JOB POSTING 2019-90-02
LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) Program
LINC Teaching Assistant (TA)
Wage: $18 per hour to start
On-Call: Monday – Thursday 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM; and M, T & Th 6:15 PM – 9:30 PM
September 4th, 2019 – March 31st, 2020 with potential extension to June 2020
Archway Community Services has been helping people since 1969.We provide more than 85 programs and services to clients at every stage of life.Our vision for the future is justice, opportunities and equitable access for all.We strive toward that goal by fostering community well-being and social justice through positive action and leadership.Come help us help people.
Under the direction of LINC Instructors, provide teaching assistance support to individual and/or small groups of adult immigrant and refugee newcomers; Assist with the implementation of Portfolio Based Language Assessment; Assist in maintaining student records and other administrative requirements of the program.
Requirements and qualifications
Education and Certification:
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Completed literacy tutor/ teaching assistant training; or in the process of obtaining a TESL certificate from a recognized institution; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum one-year experience working in an adult ESL classroom
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Knowledge of settlement language issues
- Ability to assist students one-on-one or in small groups (including literacy level and learners with special needs)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a classroom and program team
- Strong digital literacy skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of local community resources
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational & communication skills
- Strong sense of cultural humility & understanding of the needs of adult immigrant learners
Closing date is August 16th, 2019
Interested applicants are to reference Posting # 2019-90-02 in the subject line.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Subject: Job Posting # 2019-90-02
No phone calls please. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Abbotsford Community Services is an equal opportunity employer.