Urban Farm Agricultural Intern - 2019-54-01
Job Posting #2019-54-01
The Garden Project
Urban Farm Agricultural Intern
Part time, 30 hrs/wk
Temporary – term ends after 27 weeks
Urban Farm Management and Local Food Promotion Program
The Garden Project is a partnership between Abbotsford Community Services and Day 1 Urban Farm. Located in Downtown Abbotsford, we share a desire to see our community grow and to have our neighbourhood inspire well-being. We’ve taken a barren urban space and are making it come alive with plants and people. We’re bringing the country into the city, and farming land that others used to walk past. We’re using this newly created greenspace to:
- Grow fruit and vegetables
- Sell home-grown produce
- Teach others to include fresh food in their lives
- Connect with our neighbors
Job Summary: Develop your skills and gain experience in growing and managing an Agriculture Enterprise.The Urban Farm Agriculture Intern assists in managing the marketing and business needs of the Garden Project, practicing urban farming principles, and working with the community to improve local food security.
It is expected that the successful Intern will:
- Assist with managing Urban Farm site. Including, but not limited to:
- Crop planning; crop type and rotations, identifying market needs
- Crop maintenance; sowing, irrigation (including use of rainwater & alternate irrigation devices), weeding, nutritional needs, organic production
- Crop harvest & marketing- Farmer’s Market sales, on-site sales, Restaurant sales
- Assist with Farm Market Sales
- Assist with Family Growing Program – a project to improve the nutritional content of meals eaten by low-income families by fostering a ‘grow your own’ mindset. Currently the BC Association of Farmers Markets provides ‘nutrition coupons’ to families with babies and to seniors. This is a notable step to improving nutrition in these target demographics. Families with older children do not have the same opportunity. The Garden Project’s program will seek to work with adults and children alike in gardening activities.
- Assist with the potential Development and Management of CSA program
The objectives of the Internship are that the Intern will experience:
- Business Planning & Management
- The intern will participate in the many facets of managing and growing a burgeoning Agriculture enterprise.
- The intern will assist and contribute to sales and marketing of the produce grown during the 2019 season
- The intern will contribute through identification and implementation, ways in which production efficiencies and income can be increased during the 2019 growing season
- Agriculture Extension
- In working primarily with urban residents, the intern will develop and refine their understanding of effectively promoting Agriculture to consumers
- In working with program participants, the intern will develop and refine methods for improving local food security and nutrition.
- General Skills
- The intern will develop and refine SPIN* skills (*Small Plot Intensive production)
- the intern will develop and refine their communication skills
- the intern will develop and refine record keeping skills
- the intern will develop and refine marketing skills
- Business Planning & Management
Relevant Skills and Qualifications:
- Education and Experience: Post Secondary Graduate
- Must maintain a satisfactory criminal records check, and complete a fitness assessment
- Available to work a mutually agreed upon shifts including weekends (Tues – Sat)
- Willing to take on physical labour related to garden maintenance & crop production
- Prepared to work outside daily in any weather
- The successful applicant will provide their own transportation to local Farmer’s Markets for sales events including bringing the market supplies with them in their vehicle.
Internship Dates: April 29 – Nov. 1, 2019
Closing Date: March 14, 2019 or until position filled
Qualified applicants please e-mail a cover letter and resume with reference 2019-54-01 to:
Abbotsford Community Services
2420 Montrose Avenue, Abbotsford, B.C. V2S 3S9,
*Only selected applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Abbotsford Community Services is an equal opportunity employer.