Urban Farm Worker - 2019-54-02
JOB POSTING # 2019-54-02
The Garden Project
Urban Farm Worker
Wage: $16 per hour
Part Time: 30 hr/wk.
Temporary Summer Job, June-August
Abbotsford Community Services has been helping people since 1969.We provide more than 85 programs and services to clients at every stage of life.Our vision for the future is justice, opportunities and equitable access for all.We strive toward that goal by fostering community well-being and social justice through positive action and leadership.Come help us help people.
Canada Summer Jobs provides funding to create summer job opportunities for young people aged 15 to 30 years looking for employment. This position is a great fit for someone who can work in a hands-on, industrial, and outdoor (all-weather) environment!
The Garden Project is a partnership between Abbotsford Community Services and Day 1 Urban Farm. Located in Downtown Abbotsford, we want our community to grow and inspire well-being. We’re taking barren urban space and making it come alive with plants and people. We use this greenspace to:
- Grow fruit and vegetables
- Sell home-grown produce
- Teach others to include fresh food in their lives
- Connect with our neighbours
- Assist with all aspects of running the Urban Farm enterprise
- Assist with crop production, garden maintenance, and harvesting of produce as needed
- Assist the garden events as required
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements and qualifications
Education and Certification:
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
- Education in Science leading to a degree in Agriculture/Land & Food Sciences/Horticulture is an asset
- At least 1 year customer service experience
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Well-developed written, verbal, and active listening skills – able to communicate with people from a variety of backgrounds
This position is provided in part by Canada Summer Jobs.Eligible applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years old
- Be a Canadian Citizen, a Permanent Resident, or a person whom refugee status has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of employment
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Willing and able to take on physical labour related to garden maintenance and crop production
- Flexible availability, able to work mutually agreed upon shifts including some weekends
- Able to work outside in any weather
Closing date is May 24, 2019
Interested applicants are to reference Posting # 2019-54-02 in the subject line.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Subject: Job Posting # 2019-54-02
No phone calls please. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Abbotsford Community Services is an equal opportunity employer.