Youth Care Worker - 2019-14-06
JOB POSTING # 2019-14-06
Sentinel Youth Care Worker
Wage: $20.78 per hour
Casual, On-call – Working weekends and overnight
Availability for other shift also
Archway Community Services has been helping people since 1969.We provide more than 85 programs and services to clients at every stage of life.Our vision for the future is justice, opportunities and equitable access for all.We strive toward that goal by fostering community well-being and social justice through positive action and leadership.Come help us help people.
Please note: this is not a Care Aide or Health Care position.
Sentinel House Youth Care Workers provide support to youth as they navigate their care plans.This position participates in all aspects of the home’s operation during their shift.As a Sentinel Youth Care Worker, you will be responsible for duties in the following broad areas: building relationships, organizing youth activities, attending meetings, communicating with parents, social workers, and police, and perform meal preparation and household maintenance.
- Recognizes, analyzes and deals with potential crises and crises, such as resident’s aggression, using non-violent crisis intervention techniques, and reports all incidents to Supervisor and others as per procedures;
- Participates in the assessment, goal setting and progress evaluation of all residents.Documents observations in daily logs and client files as per policy and procedure;
- Household shopping; groceries, bread shop, meat order, farm (fruits/vegetables), department stores is completed by daytime support staff in consultation with program staff and supervisor;
- Attends staff meetings as required;
- Ensures clients’ needs are met by performing duties such as educating and encouraging basic hygiene, preparing meals, and administering medication in accordance with established policies and procedures;
- Teaches residents effective personal safety, social and interpersonal skills through tasks of limit-setting, appropriate daily living and social activities.Utilizes positive behaviour management techniques;
- Provides behaviour management counseling to residents on a one-to-one and/or group basis by performing duties such as providing feedback on behaviour and providing guidance and support;
- Monitors curfews, check-ins and chores done by residents and makes every attempt to ascertain knowledge of their intended whereabouts should they leave the premises;
- Attends case conferences if deemed appropriate and, whenever possible, works with care teams towards setting and meeting goals in each resident’s plan of care.Reports and discusses case planning and concerns with Sentinel House team and other care team members.Ensures appropriate ongoing communication between Sentinel and the above-mentioned team members;
- Facilitates intakes, orientations and discharges of residents including thorough documentation in logbooks and required reports as per policies and procedures.Submits all required paperwork and timesheets in a timely manner;
- Participates in the ongoing household, yard and vehicle maintenance and cleaning, including meal preparation, laundry, yard work, housework and minor repairs; in flexibility with other program staff in meeting needs of youth and program.
- Provides transportation for youth to appointments and community outings;
- Maintains a thorough knowledge of community resources that will meet residents’ needs.Provides liaison, education and advocacy for community agencies, other professionals and neighbours on issues concerning the residence;
- Other duties as required.
- It may arise that support staff will be requested to stay beyond their work hours to support a crisis or program needs;
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Certification:
- Diploma in Social Work, Child and Youth Care or related discipline, or equivalent education and experience.
- Satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s license and clean driver’s abstract.
- First Aid Certificate and Food Safe conditions of hire.
- Some experience working within social services.
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Excellent written, verbal, non-verbal, and active listening skills; able to communicate effectively and respectfully with people from a variety of backgrounds;
- Excellent behaviour management skills, especially in relation to adolescents;
- Strong ability to work with people, especially in a supportive, consultative capacity – flexible in approach;
- Well-developed ability to use good judgment and maintain confidentiality;
- Knowledge of human behaviour and adolescent development, pressures and opportunities of group-home model;
- Well-developed ability to teach and to consult effectively;
- Knowledge of Ministry of Children and Family Development/ Fraser Valley Aboriginal Child and Family Services Society (FVACFSS) policies and standards respecting care of young people;
- Proficient teaching skills;
- Good organization, time and general management skills;
- Ability to work effectively independently and with other program staff, social workers, and other relevant service providers;
- Knowledge of policies and procedures:
- Ministry of Children and Family Development/FVACFSS standards and policies, particularly Residential Standards
- Youth Justice Act
- Child Welfare legislation and policies
- Ministry of Health licensing regulations
- This position is sensitive in that it requires a high degree of trust as it is directly and indirectly involved with the care of children.
- This position is required to work in, at times, a stressful environment, often dealing with clients in crisis situations.Issues are often related to physical and/or emotional abuse, and/or drug and alcohol abuse.Flexibility and the ability to manage emergency situations are ongoing expectations of this position.
- Program delivery activities may require a moderate level of physical fitness to effectively carry out duties of the position.
Closing date is: August 23, 2019
Interested applicants are to reference Posting # 2019-14-06 in the subject line.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Subject: Job Posting # 2019-14-06
No phone calls please. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Abbotsford Community Services is an equal opportunity employer.