Youth Facilitator - 2019-38-01
JOB POSTING # 2019-38-01
Immigrant Youth Services
Full Time, 35 hours per week – 2 positions available
Temporary – July 2, 2019-August 12, 2019
Abbotsford Community Services has been helping people since 1969.We provide more than 85 programs and services to clients at every stage of life.Our vision for the future is justice, opportunities and equitable access for all.We strive toward that goal by fostering community well-being and social justice through positive action and leadership.Come help us help people.
The Youth Facilitator creates and delivers a Summer Literacy Program to newcomer youth in middle school and high school, focusing on fun, engaging English-learning activities and recreation. This position also provides some administrative support including maintaining client files, attendance, and organizing program-related field trips. As the program provides transportation for some participants, the Youth Facilitator is required to drive clients either in the agency vehicle or their own car.
- Organize and facilitate a 5-week group instructional cycle.Instructional components include but are not limited to: English, literacy, leadership, team building.
- Organize and facilitate field trips.
- Assess the needs of program participants and adjust curriculum to meet the participants where they are at.
- Ensure all client files and program attendance is complete with information clearly and precisely documented according to all agency confidentiality policies and guidelines.
- Provide a safe and welcoming learning environment for all participants.
- Inform participants of the youth services available at ACS and in Abbotsford.
- Transport participants as needed.
- Oversee and delegate tasks to volunteers.
- Prepare lunch and snacks for youth.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Certification:
- Satisfactory criminal records check
- Valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and safe driving record
- First Aid and FoodSafe an asset
- At least 2 years’ education in a related field – Child and Youth Care, Social Work, Education, etc. or a combination of education and experience.
- At least 2 years’ experience working with youth and/or people from diverse cultural backgrounds..
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Ability to speak a language in addition to English, especially Arabic, Punjabi or Spanish.
- Strong facilitation skills – presentations, asking questions, listening, giving clear instructions.
- Well-developed written, verbal, and active listening skills; able to communicate effectively and respectfully with people from a variety of backgrounds.
- Strong attention to detail – ability to keep accurate records.
- Strong computer skills – experience using the Microsoft Office Suite to create and present various program materials and gather online information.
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Coachable – able to accept directions and feedback.
- Strong organizational skill set – demonstrated ability to prioritize, plan and organize work, and manage time
- Driving clients required
- Work will be both indoors and outdoors
This position is provided in partnership with HRSD Canada.Eligible applicants are:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment*; and,
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
*International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada.
Closing date is May 24, 2019
Interested applicants are to reference Posting # 2019-38-01 in the subject line.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Subject: Job Posting # 2019-38-01
No phone calls please. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Abbotsford Community Services is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all equity seeking groups.
Abbotsford Community Services is an equal opportunity employer.