Youth Worker - 2019-114-01
JOB POSTING 2019-114-01
Immigrant Youth Services
Wage: $18.00 per hour
Part Time: 18 hr/wk
Permanent – Starting September 2, 2019
Archway Community Services has been helping people since 1969.We provide more than 85 programs and services to clients at every stage of life.Our vision for the future is justice, opportunities and equitable access for all.We strive toward that goal by fostering community well-being and social justice through positive action and leadership.Come help us help people.
The Youth Worker position is responsible for providing support to immigrant and refugee youth. This position will plan and facilitate lunch time programming in schools, plan and facilitate after school programs at our office and work one-to-one with multi-barriered youth. This Youth Worker meets youth from a wide variety of backgrounds and provides them with professional support in all situations
- Plan and facilitate lunch hour activities in assigned schools
- Plan and facilitate after school homework support, leadership and recreation activities
- Plan and facilitate special programs during school breaks, including field trips
- Connect with teachers and counselors to identify new immigrant youth
- Connect with newly arrived youth at assigned schools; prepare and design creative ways to reach targeted youth and recruit them for lunch time and after school programs
- Perform intake and needs assessment on youth who are new to the program
- Refer youth to appropriate services at Archway and in the community
- Provide one-to-one support, including outreach, case management and wraparound goals for multi-barriered youth
- Maintain records on clients, ensure all files are complete with information clearly and precisely documented while maintaining client confidentiality
- Connect with families and guardians as necessary
- Transport youth to and from programs
- Prepare snacks and clean up
- Enter program attendance and one-to-one sessions into funder’s database (iCare); assist with quarterly and annual reporting
- Recruit volunteer youth to support immigrant youth
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Certification:
- Two years post-secondary education in a youth-related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Valid class 5 drivers’ license and clean driving record
- First aid certificate
- Maintain a satisfactory criminal records check
- At least 2 years’ experience engaging and working with youth and/or people from diverse backgrounds
Knowledge and Skill Set
- Well-developed written, verbal, and active listening skills; able to communicate effectively and respectfully with people with a variety of language abilities
- Well-developed organizational and computer skills.
- Effective problem-solving skills.
- Strong recruitment and marketing skills
- Strong facilitation and cross-cultural skills
- Ability to speak, read, and write in a language other than English (especially Arabic, Spanish or Punjabi
- Follow the code of ethics in a manner consistent with the policy and procedures of the agency
- Ability to adapt and respond to changing conditions and priorities.
- Promote an inclusive environment and respect all people and their diversity
- Deal with all concerns, opinions and suggestions in a respectful manner.
Closing date is Date July 31, 2019
Interested applicants are to reference Posting 2019-114-01 in the subject line.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to:
Email: email@example.comSubject: Job Posting 2019-114-01
No phone calls please. Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Abbotsford Community Services is an equal opportunity employer.