Tax Filing Assistance for Seniors
Published On February 28th 2018
While nobody looks forward to tax time, for some seniors filing
taxes is extra challenging due to fixed incomes or limited computer skills.
While their incomes may not be high it's important that they file so can
receive all the benefits they are entitled to.
Income Tax Preparation is a service offered by the Seniors Program at Abbotsford Community Services for those who are 55 and older and who reside in Abbotsford. Trained volunteers help prepare income tax forms for eligible participants and help them secure access to any benefits they are entitled to.
While services are free, a donation is strongly encouraged and greatly appreciated, if one is in a position to support this community-based program. Serviecs are offered in English and Punjabi.
Senior’s Tax Clinic Hours of Operation
March 1st to April 30th
Monday to Friday
9am – 1:30pm
You can schedule appointments by phone, or in person, starting Monday, February 26th at 9am. Call Call 604.870.3763 to book your appointment. If you wish to book your appointment in person, please see the Seniors Income Tax Service Volunteer in the Senior’s Department (Abbotsford Community Services, 1st floor, 2420 Montrose Avenue).
Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment time. This will allow us to check your forms and ensure that you have all the necessary forms on-hand. If you are going to be late, please call and notify our office as soon as possible. If you are late to your scheduled appointment, your appointment time may be rescheduled at the discretion of the Income Tax Volunteer. If you have to cancel or reschedule an appointment, please provide us with 24 hours’ notice.
- Must be a resident of Abbotsford
- Seniors 55 and older with an income level of
Individual: $30,000 / Couple: $40,000 / Single Parent: $35,000
- Simple Tax Situation. Your tax situation is simple if you have no income or if your income comes from these sources:
- benefits such as Canada Pension Plan, disability, employment insurance, social assistance
- registered retirement savings plans (RRSP's)
- support payments
- scholarships, fellowships, bursaries or grants
- interest (must be under $1,000)
- The tax service supports the current tax year 2017 and the prior 2 years only (2015 and 2016)
Other Sources of Assistance
If you are not eligible for this tax clinic the Canada Revenue Agency may be able to assist you:
- Canada Revenue Office – 1-800-959-8281 or visit the CRA website for a list of free Income Tax Services