2015 Cultural Diversity Awards
Published On January 30th 2015
View our live stream of the event here.
On Friday, March 6th we celebrate the 12th Annual Fraser Valley Cultural Diversity Awards. This premiere event begins at 6:00 PM at the Ramada Plaza & Conference Centre. Got your tickets yet?
What is cultural diversity? Simply stated it is the inclusion of diverse people in a group or organization, it includes, but is not limited to age, abilities, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, sexual-orientation and socio-economic background.
12th Annual Fraser Valley Cultural Diversity Awards
Friday, March 6, 2015 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Ramada Plaza and Conference Centre
Before February 15th: $55 per person // $400 for a table of 8
After February 15th: $60 per person // $440 for a table of 8
2015 Master of Ceremonies: Fred Lee
Fred Lee's fabulous sense of humour and unique style makes him Vancouver’s 'Man About Town.' The Social Butterfly steps out with Rick Cluff every Monday morning on CBC Radio One's The Early Edition to share all Vanhattan's A-list happenings, red carpet parties, must-attend galas and fabulous fundraisers.
When not gala-vanting, Fred is an Associate Director, Alumni Relations at the University of British Columbia. Fred also serves on the advisory for UBC's CampOUT, a summer camp for LGBT youth and their allies.
2015 Entertainment: Diego Kohl
Diego was Born in Ajijic Mexico, A small lakeside town where he spent his childhood learning to play the guitar and learning to sing in Spanish. At age 10 Diego and his family moved to Canada.
Diego currently teaches Piano, guitar, bass and guitarron at; O Music Studios in Vancouver, World Dance Co. in Burnaby and is available to do private lessons in the comfort of your own home. Diego Kohl performs regularly in the lower mainland with different bands and great musicians.
Cultural Diversity (noun)
- the inclusion of diverse people in a group or organization,
- includes but is not limited to age, abilities, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, sexual-orientation and socio-economic background
The Fraser Valley Cultural Diversity Awards Ceremony started in 2003 to recognize the best practices of Fraser Valley organizations, initiatives and businesses in recognizing the diversity of our community. The event started at King’s Crossing and moved to Ramada Plaza and Conference Centre in 2005.
Each year, we have received nominations from individuals, organizations, schools, businesses and programs that work towards building an inclusive community, providing their clients/customers with accessible environments, and having reflective workforces for all. Cultural diversity includes but is not limited to age, abilities, ethnicity, gender, race, religion, sexual-orientation and socio-economic background.
The event has been organized by Abbotsford Community Services in partnership with Mission Community Services and Chilliwack Community Services. This annual event has been a resounding success with over 400 people attending each year!
Previous speakers have included The Honorable Iona Campagnolo, Lieutenant Governor of BC, The Honorable Steven Point, Lieutenant Governor of BC, Mike Harcourt, Former Premier of BC and Lloyd Axworthy, Chair of Global studies at the Lieu institute, Nazanin Afshin-Jam, Lesra Martin, Andrea Holmes, Ginger Gosnell-Myers and Dee DeeCoridini, Mayor of Salt Lake City.
Master of Ceremonies such as Shelagh Rogers, Margaret Gallaghar, and Julia Foy have hosted the awards and guests have been entertained by Live entertainment.
2013 Award Winners
- Inclusive Environment – L.I.N.C (Long-term Inmates Now in the Community) Society
- Marketing – Fraser Valley Child Development Center
- Outreach – PriceSmart Foods Clearbrook
- Reflective Workforce – University of the Fraser Valley
- Innovative Initiative – Man Turned to Stone: T’xwelátse
- Champion of Diversity – Francis Xavier Edwards
2012 Award Winners
Keynote: Ginger Gosnell-Meyers
- Inclusive Environment – Ecole Mission Central Neighborhood Centre
- Marketing – Crystal Hearing and Vision Centre
- Outreach – City of Abbotsford
- Reflective Workforce – Columbia Kitchen Cabinets
- Innovative Initiative – Honouring Our Teachers Ceremony
- Champion of Diversity – Dorothy Jeffery and Harold Rosen
2011 Award Winners
Keynote: Nehal Azab
- Inclusive Environment – Chilliwack Library
- Marketing – Mission Literacy B.U.S.
- Outreach – CIVL Radio
- Reflective Workforce – Loblaw Pharmacy (Chilliwack)
- Innovative Initiative – Closelook Productions
- Champion of Diversity – Inta Schorcht (Langley)
2010 Award Winners
Keynote: Deedee Coradini
- Inclusive Environment – Abbotsford School of Integrated Arts
- Marketing – City of Abbotsford
- Outreach – Ministry of Children and Family Development (Abbotsford)
- Reflective Workforce – S.U.C.C.E.S.S. Fraser Valley Self Employment Program
- Innovative Initiative – The Reach Gallery Museum
- Champion of Diversity – Rick Lucy
2009 Award Winners
Keynote: Andrea Holmes
- Inclusive Environment – Spirit Bear Centre Society
- Marketing – Mission Friendship Centre
- Outreach – StrongStart Program at West Heights Elementary School
- Reflective Workforce – Abbotsford Police Department
- Innovative Initiative – Fraser Valley Brain Injury Association
- Champion of Diversity – Chantell Gregg
2008 Award Winners
Keynote: Nazanin Afsan-Jam
- Inclusive Environment – Mission Secondary School
- Marketing – Township of Langley Libraries
- Outreach – Fraser Valley Child Development Centre
- Reflective Workforce – TD Canada Trust
- Innovative Initiative – Fraser Valley Youth Society
- Champion of Diversity – Dr. Linnea Battel
2007 Award Winners
Keynote: Lesra Martin (Lawyer in Kamloops whose character was portrayed in the movie Hurricane)
- Inclusive Environment – The West Heights Inclusive Neighborhood Project
- Marketing – Punjabi Patrika
- Outreach – Chilliwack Central Elementary School
- Reflective Workforce – KPMG
- Innovative Initiative – Silent Witness
- Champion of Diversity – Ken Herar
2006 Award Winners
Keynote: Hugh Beard: (Film producer)
- Life of Inspiration Award – Lexi Madsen
- Inclusive Environment – Downtown Chilliwack Business Improvement Association and W.J.
- Mouat Secondary School
- Marketing – Aldergrove Library
- Outreach – Kalgidhar Darbar Sahib Society (Abbotsford)
- Innovative Initiative – Simonds Elementary School (Langley)
- Champion of Diversity – Const. Shinder Kirk
2005 Award Winners
Keynote: Dr Lloyd Axworthy
- Inclusive Environment – Harry Sayers Elementary
- Marketing – Abbotsford/Mission Outreach Services of the Women’s Resource Society
- Outreach – Matsqui Sumas Abbotsford Museum Society
- Reflective Workforce – Regional Treatment Centre of Pacific Institutions
- Innovative Initiative – “The Laramie Project”
- Champion of Diversity – Inspector John Davidson (Honorary Mention: John Oostenbrink)
2004 Award Winners
Keynote: Mike Harcourt (former Premier of BC)
- Inclusive Environment – Farm Credit Canada
- Marketing – Clearbrook Public Library
- Outreach – VanCity Savings Credit Union
- Reflective Workforce – Industrial Copper Systems Ltd.
- Innovative Initiative – Mission District Historical Society
2003 Award Winners
Speaker: Iona Campagnolo (Lieutenant Governor of BC)
- Inclusive Environment – Fraser Health Authority Language Interpreter Services Program of Abbotsford
- Marketing and Outreach – Greater Langley Chamber of Commerce and Xa:ytem Longhouse Interpretive Centre
- Reflective Workforce – Above the Underground of MCC BC Employment Development,
- Abbotsford Innovative Initiative – Youthquest! of the Fraser Valley